VWDieselParts.com

Your place to buy VW Parts
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bought a Volvo diesel.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:14 pm 
Turbo Charger

Just picked up a car that I had been searching a long time for. :D

It's a 1985 Volvo 740 wagon with the D24T turbodiesel 2.4L straight six engine. Insides are just like a 1.6TD, but with 2 extra cylinders, same engine VW used in the european LT35 vans. It has the very rare manual transmission too. 194k, owned by a diesel fanatic who maintained it perfectly. It's like a new car inside and out, he just did all new stuff on the engine, brakes, tires, suspension, etc, it's practically restored. I guess if you wait long enough you finally get lucky!

The straight six is so smooth and powerful and sounds so good.... it drives like a dream, 80mph on the highway, with the cruise on, is just loafing. I'm sure this thing would steam right past 100mph and not even care. Huge comfy seats, big windows, what a cruiser. Sure doesn't feel like a VW diesel, even though it is one deep down inside! The sound is like a mini-Cummins but not as loud.

Looks like finding parts for this thing will not be as cheap or easy as for the Rabbit. Anyone have any experience with these things? Anything to watch out for? The timing belt is a different setup than on the 4cyl diesels, since the IP is driven off the back of the cam with a second belt. The guy just changed it though.

I will put up pics and video. You guys will want to see this thing run. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:24 pm 
Turbo Charger

nice find, congrats. I've seen a few of these over the years (not many!!) in the DC area and a couple of 240 diesels. If I didn't already have too many cars (and a wife) I'd pick one up.

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, F150, S10 Blazer, '41 Chevy Coupe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:33 pm 
Glow Plug

Congrats..

I have an 80 264 N/A D24. I would keep an eye on the temp. if the head gasket hasn't been done yet. Also keep oil in it. Mine has quite the appetite for it. I would be interested to see how yours does on it once you get it on the road. Mine has the slow glow relay and yours will have the fast relay but you might want to look into modifying it to run longer especially now with the duraterm plugs which can take three minutes or so no problem. Mine used to have starting problems in the cold but I modified the glow circuit to keep the plugs going until I start the car. Still haven't figured out the afterglow thing but it is a start. Unfortunaltely I probably won't be able to help you out with yours as I am sure the controller and wiring is different. I think 79-80 were the only years with the slow glow sytem.

You get the most interesting looks from people at stop lights and in parking lots when you pull up along side them. I guess most people think the engine in your car is about ready to self destruct. I have drowned out some of the older ford diesels that I have pulled alongside as well. That always gets a priceless look from the guy in the big ford.

1982 MB 240D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:36 pm 
Diesel Freak

No short trips, unless it's well warmed up. synthetic oil or good dino like rotella and keep viscosity low -use 10-40 max in hot weather ,otherwise 0-30 or 5-30. These motors were designed for LT VW trucks and weren't meant for regular driving habits -i.e. trips to the store and their reliability record shows.
Otherwise enjoy !

1990 t3 transporter 1.9na

Post subject: VW 6 in line Volvo.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:13 am 
Hillbilly Tuner

v8volvo
Turbo Charger
said : I guess if you wait long enough you finally get lucky! , yep

the " Ugly-Duckling " from Anacortes was worth waiting for.

In Danmark in my time , we had a saying If you can wait long enough , you can become King of Sweden. , not sure if that is luck EH ?.

hagar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:52 am 
Turbo Charger

Well, went and brought it down from Maine this weekend to Boston. It's really nice. :D

Thanks for the tips. I have heard that keeping the cooling sys working right on these is the most important thing. Car seems to run cool and uses no oil (in fact the dipstick shows a little high right now). PO just replaced timing belt, coolant, hoses, water pump, etc, etc and lots of other stuff. It is in really good shape.

Here are some pictures.

The car today... gotta love Boston in the springtime...

Interior is CLEAN...

Here it is... the great D24T in all its glory.

I will put up more pics once the weather is better if anyone is interested...

Post subject: Volvo.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:21 pm 
Hillbilly Tuner

hagar is interested.

hagar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:51 pm 
Turbo Charger

looks like it was well maintained. If the mechanicals are as good as the body, you did well.

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, F150, S10 Blazer, '41 Chevy Coupe

Post subject: Upgrade ideas
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:41 am 
Turbo Charger

Congrats, v8volvo!

I remember talking about these cars with you many years back!

I was just thinking, since you've clearly found a vehicle you'd like to treasure forever, why not upgrade it with a few longevity-adding devices, such as a pre-oiler and warmer?

Imagine driving the car 30 years from now!

-'82 cherry Westy from AZ
-more all the time; are they breeding?

Post subject: Re: Upgrade ideas
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:43 am 
Turbo Charger

Josh wrote:
I was just thinking, since you've clearly found a vehicle you'd like to treasure forever, why not upgrade it with a few longevity-adding devices, such as a pre-oiler and warmer?

Or, a Frantz external oil filter setup. My 82 with 350k miles has had one since it was new.

I have too many to count

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:55 pm 
Turbo Charger

Those are great suggestions. I will probably rebuild the engine at some point and add some extras to boost engine life at that point. Definitely a block heater at the least and maybe something in the lube system as well.

It was taken care of as best the guy knew how, which is why the interior and body are so nice, but I've come to realize the drivetrain could be better. Valves hadn't been adjusted in forever -- I checked clearances yesterday and discovered that most of the intake valves have no clearance at all! Even my .05mm feeler wouldn't go in, and the minimum spec is .20mm (this was on a warm engine). Probably those valves were never fully closing at all. Do you think there will be much damage from this over the long term? Valves burned, valve seats wrecked? I hope it's OK... :(

Also, the clutch and pilot bearing are all messed up. It is a project after all. However, I'm sure it will be really nice when it's done.

Thanks for the comments!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:35 pm 
Turbo Charger

I agree with you that's it's not good. But you may have got lucky. One way to tell is a leak-down check. You maybe able to hear it leaking through the valves into the manifold. If your going to do the injectors that makes it more worth while to do it at the same time. If cold weather starting and gas mileage are decent you may have got lucky.

http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:17 am 
Turbo Charger

It starts very well in cold weather so maybe it will be OK. Don't have the ability to do a leakdown test, but I'm hoping for the best...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:20 pm 
Turbo Charger

I´ll post my question in this thread since it´s related to Volvo d24 and might be of interest fo V8Volvo too 8)

Is the injectors on the D24 the same as in 1.6D? Same crack pressure and nozzle size?
Found a set of rebuilt injectors and figured they might fit my Caddy.

Feels like I should know this, coming from Sweden and all but to be honest, I couldn´t care less about Volvos (sry V8Volvo :oops: )...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:26 pm 
Turbo Charger

Yep, they are the same. The D24T uses 1.6TD injectors (155 bar), the D24 N/A uses 1.6 N/A injectors (140 bar?? I forget the pressure). they will drop right in no problem.